Community Helping Schools was founded in October, 2000 by Kathie Wells. Soon after, individuals, the local business community, churches, other non profit organizations, parents, students and teachers offered their support for this program. Piloted on the Windward side CHS is now growing in other communities on Oahu.
CHS is run completely by volunteers and is a 501(c)(3) non profit corporation. Donations go directly from the community donor to the teacher and students. Read Our Process below and notice how simple the system is. It’s easy to help!
Vision: Community Helping Schools will enable all public students on Oahu to have the necessary classroom resources to maximize their learning experience and potential.
Mission: Community Helping Schools acts as a catalyst and conduit to Oahu public schools to match classroom resource needs with community donors. CHS acts to create a stronger bond between the school, the students and the community.
1. Teachers notify CHS of their needs by submitting ‘Wish Lists’ to CHS through their school’s PCNC (Parent Community Networking Center)
2. CHS advertises and networks in the community. Community members call or email if they have a donation. CHS makes sure the items are in good working condition. If it is not, it is explained that the schools do not have funds for repairs and the community member is thanked for caring about our schools.
3. Volunteers pick up the donation and give the community member a tax deductible receipt. The volunteer then delivers the item along with a delivery slip to the school.
4. The teacher, PCNC or a student sends a thank you note to the community member letting them know how much they appreciated the donation.
5. Community members may ‘Browse the Wish List’ to see what items or services are needed by the schools.
CHS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation.
CHS is an eligible recipient in the Aloha United Way Donor Choice Program. CHS’s number is #75670.